Keep Grilling Safe!
According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated 8,800 home fires are started by grilling each year. Moreover, almost half of all injuries involving grills are caused by thermal burns.
To prevent accidents when grilling, you should place the grill 10 feet away from structures and keep the grill grease free. Additionally, check for gas leaks regularly and always keep water or a fire extinguisher nearby. You should never turn on the gas with the lid closed, leave the grill unattended or cook too much food at once.
General safety guidelines for grilling outdoors:
- DO keep the grill at least 10 feet away from structures, such as the garage or porch, and out from under tree branches and eaves. The farther away from structures, the lower the risk of fire.
- DO maintain the grill by cleaning the grease or fat buildup after every usage. Doing so not only decreases the risk of fire but also helps the food cook better.
- DO check for gas (propane) leaks regularly. Make a solution with one part water and one part dish soap and apply it to the line that connects the grill to the gas tank. If bubbles appear on the line when you turn on the gas, have the grill serviced immediately.
- DO keep water and a fire extinguisher handy. Since grilling involves fire, there is always a risk for minor flare-ups, so you should have something to extinguish the fire with.
- DO place the coals from the grill in a metal can after you’ve finished grilling; allow the coals to cool off first.
- DON’T allow small children and pets to come close to the grilling area.
- DON’T turn on the gas with the lid closed. If there’s any gas trapped under the lid, it will instantly turn into a fireball that can cause serious burn injuries.
- DON’T leave the grill unattended. In case the grill catches fire, an adult should be around to extinguish it quickly. Fires can double in size every minute.
- DON’T grill indoors. Propane and charcoal grills must never be used indoors. Besides the fire hazard, there is a serious risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- DON’T barbeque too much food at once. Although it seems time-efficient, cooking too much food at once can cause excess fat to drip down onto the grill flames, potentially causing a small fire.
As fire restoration experts, we advise you to always be vigilant when grilling. For more fire safety tips, follow PuroClean of Midwest City on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.