Help Hotline Call Now
(405) 731-4343

The Dangers of Mold Exposure

The Dangers of Mold Exposure

Dangers of Mold Exposure

With over 100,000 species of mold, there are 100,000 reasons to avoid the dangers of mold exposure which are all harmful. People have different reactions to mold. No matter who you are, frequent exposure to mold may endanger your health. Mold exposure causes over 30 health problems. This includes allergies, asthma, and other respiratory illnesses. While mold comes in all colors, always treat them as toxic until tested by an accredited lab.

Allergic Reactions

While mold itself is not poisonous or toxic, some molds produce mycotoxins. Mold toxins cause an array of health problems that include skin rashes. Prolonged mold exposure may cause cancer.

Allergic reactions are common. Some people react differently than others. The time and nature of the exposure play a role in the gravity of the symptoms. Signs of mold allergies include eye, through, and skin irritation. Pay attention to stuffy noses, coughing, and wheezing.

Asthma Attacks

High levels of airborne mold spores trigger asthma attacks. Symptoms include chest tightness, shortness of breath, coughing, and wheezing. Mold exposure in some leads to the development of asthma in some children.

Other Health Problems

Mold exposure causes chronic sinus infections. While original causes start with something else, mold will make it worse. Chronic sufferers of sinusitis should avoid any contact with mold.

In a study by The American Journal of Public Health, results show a link between mold and depression. There’s something ugly about mold, indeed.

Those with compromised immune systems are more susceptible to mold-related illnesses. Those with HIV, AIDS, or undergoing chemotherapy should avoid mold contact.

Effects of Mold on Pets

Pets suffer from mold as well. Mold exposure systems include breathing difficulties like wheezing and coughing. It causes nose bleeding. In extreme cases, pulmonary hemorrhage occurs. Pets exhibit excessive scratching and licking, lethargy, runny nose, and allergic reactions.

If pets ingest moldy food products, they react to mycotoxins which causes muscle spasms or body tremors. Always check the food you give to your pets and throw away any moldy foods in your home.

Take Precautions to Prevent Mold

Anyone can be negatively affected by mold, even healthy young adults. To avoid mold health issues, make sure to fix any immediately and keep indoor humidity at a safe level. Contact for mold clean-up and water damage remediation services.